These two terms can be used as research methods.
- used to gain an understanding of underlying reasons, opinions, and motivations
- provides insights into the problem or helps to develop ideas or hypotheses
- used to quantify the problem by generating numerical data
- uses measurable data to formulate facts and uncover patterns in research.
- much more structured than qualitative.
How above methodologies can be applied in research project:
- Formulating hypotheses (Qualitative) – Can initiate a research by discovering the problems or opportunities people are thinking.
- Validating your hypotheses (Quantitative) – Can get numbers to apply statical analysis for validating hypotheses.
- Finding general answers (Quantitative) – Helps to get definite answers for broad questions.
- Incorporating the human element (Qualitative) – People’s own words can help to uncover blind spots.